Thursday, February 4, 2010

What's in a name?

Well, I've been sick lately so not much running... I mean not ANY running. Sucks. So anyway, I thought I would post a note on the name. There were a couple after school TV shows I remember from when I was a kid in the 70's that were all very Japanese, and very much like Godzilla. The main one I remember was called Ultraman. Seems that when I saw it, it was really only reruns. Based on wikipedia it actually ran in the mid to late 60's, when I was definitely too young to remember TV. Anyway, now that I've become a runner in my old age and decided to run some Ultras, that name keeps popping in my head. Anyway, did a bit of a name search and the name wasn't really used from what I could tell so i jumped on it. (well the URL does seem to be taken but no one is really using it so... I added the "runner" on the end and called it my own)
I do feel a bit like a pretender still as according to Horton, "You're not really an Ultra runner until you've run a 100!", but I do have at least 10 races longer than a marathon under my belt and plan on getting that 100 done this year, so maybe I'll only pretend for a little while.
So that's the name. If you're interested in that great 60's show "Ultraman" check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraman or the clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNb7o6x7hEU. (I'll never forget that swirling mud intro...)

No comments:

Post a Comment